Functional Orthodontics for Adults
For Dental Professionals
In Functional Orthodontics for Adults, Dr. Rich explains all aspects of functional orthodontic treatment for adults who may or may not require TMJ stabilization prior to beginning treatment. Utilizing numerous case studies from her own practice, as well as in-class demonstrations, Dr. Rich will show you how to create a beautiful, functional, and pain-free occlusion for adults seeking orthodontic correction.
Participants in Functional Orthodontics for Adults are not required to have completed previous orthodontic course-work. A knowledge of straight-wire orthodontics and clear aligner systems is helpful to the discussions of further alignment and occlusal development after appliance therapy, but a dentist may also choose to refer to another orthodontic provider familiar with functional techniques when these finishing treatments are necessary.
Standard Course: One 2-day course
Custom Course: Please contact Dr. Rich through the Contact Page for more information.
- Introduction to functional appliance therapy for adults with comparison to distalization techniques and the advantages of expansion over extraction
- Diagnostics and treatment planning for the final position of the teeth
- When, why, and which teeth to consider for extraction
- How to address expansion issues in cases with previous 4-bicuspid, 2-bicuspid, or other unbalanced extractions
- Choosing the appropriate functional appliance or series of appliances
- Evaluating alignment and planning for brackets or clear aligners
Final Alignment and Finishing
- Best applications of straight-wire orthodontics vs. clear aligner systems
- Anterior alignment only with Rapid Smiles or clear aligner systems
- Combining posterior brackets with anterior clear aligners
- The importance of final retention and preventive joint protection
- Common relapse situations and how to treat them
- Case studies